Dr. Jack Hunter is an anthropologist exploring the borderlands of consciousness, religion, ecology and the paranormal. He lives in the hills of Mid-Wales with his family. He is currently a Visiting Lecturer in the Department of Theology and Religious Studies at the University of Chester, a tutor on the MA in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David, and an Access to Higher Education lecturer in the Humanities and Social Sciences at Newtown College. His doctoral research with the University of Bristol examined the experiences of spirit mediums and their influence on the development of self-concepts and models of consciousness, and is an effort towards a non-reductive anthropology of the paranormal. He completed a Permaculture Design Course at Chester Cathedral in 2017, and worked on the One School One Planet project between 2016-19 to develop an inter-disciplinary permaculture curriculum for schools. He is also a musician and an ordained Dudeist Priest. This website is a collection of his work.
Honorary Research Fellow, Religious Experience Research Centre, University of Wales Trinity Saint David.
Research Fellow, Parapsychology Foundation.
Afterlife Research Centre.
Society for the Phenomenology of Religious Experience.
Fairy Investigation Society.
If you would like to help support Dr. Hunter's work, please consider becoming a patron on Patreon.
- Anthropology of Religion
- Anthropology of the Paranormal
- Religious Studies
- Religious Experience
- Anthropology of Consciousness
- Ontological Anthropology
- Spirit Possession and Shamanism
- Altered States of Consciousness
- Anomalous and Extraordinary Experience
- Spirits and Entity Encounters
- Religious Education
- Pedagogies of Religious Education
- Philosophy of Religion
- Deep Ecology
- Systems Thinking
- Magic and the Occult
- Folklore and Myth...
- 2019 - Frances P. Bolton Fellowship, Parapsychology Foundation.
- 2017/18 - Award for Services to Examining,
3 Consecutive Years, Joint Council for Qualifications.
- 2015 - Read-Tuckwell Scholarship, University of Bristol.
- 2015 - Scholarly Incentive Award, Parapsychology Foundation.
- 2011 - Research Grant, Society for Psychical Research.
- 2011 - Gertrude Schmeidler Outstanding Student Contribution Award, Parapsychological Association.
- 2010 - Eileen J. Garrett Scholarship, Parapsychology Foundation.