Dr. Jack Hunter is an anthropologist exploring the borderlands of consciousness, religion, ecology and the paranormal. He lives in the hills of Mid-Wales with his family. He is a tutor with the Sophia Centre for the Study of Cosmology in Culture, University of Wales Trinity Saint David, and teaches on the MA in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology. He is also an Access to Higher Education lecturer in the Humanities and Social Sciences at Newtown College. He is co-editor with Dr. Tina Paphitis of the peer-reviewed Time and Mind: Journal of Archaeology, Consciousness and Culture. His doctoral research with the University of Bristol examined the experiences of spirit mediums and their influence on the development of self-concepts and models of consciousness, and is an effort towards a non-reductive anthropology of the paranormal. He completed a Permaculture Design Course at Chester Cathedral in 2017, and worked on the One School One Planet project between 2016-19 to develop an inter-disciplinary permaculture curriculum for schools. He is also a musician and an ordained Dudeist Priest. This website is a collection of his work.
Honorary Research Fellow, Alister Hardy Religious Experience Research Centre.
Research Fellow, Parapsychology Foundation.
Professional Member, Parapsychological Association.
Founder Member, Afterlife Research Centre.
Member, Society for the Phenomenology of Religious Experience.
Member, Fairy Investigation Society.
If you would like to help support Dr. Hunter's work, please consider becoming a patron on Patreon.
- Anthropology of Religion
- Anthropology of the Paranormal
- Religious Studies
- Religious Experience
- Anthropology of Consciousness
- Ontological Anthropology
- Spirit Possession and Shamanism
- Altered States of Consciousness
- Anomalous and Extraordinary Experience
- Spirits and Entity Encounters
- Religious Education
- Pedagogies of Religious Education
- Philosophy of Religion
- Deep Ecology
- Systems Thinking
- Magic and the Occult
- Folklore and Myth...
- 2019 - Frances P. Bolton Fellowship, Parapsychology Foundation.
- 2017/18 - Award for Services to Examining,
3 Consecutive Years, Joint Council for Qualifications.
- 2015 - Read-Tuckwell Scholarship, University of Bristol.
- 2015 - Scholarly Incentive Award, Parapsychology Foundation.
- 2011 - Research Grant, Society for Psychical Research.
- 2011 - Gertrude Schmeidler Outstanding Student Contribution Award, Parapsychological Association.
- 2010 - Eileen J. Garrett Scholarship, Parapsychology Foundation.